Sunday, February 21, 2010

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain! Excercise 1

I recently purchased The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards in hopes of improving my artistic abilities.  The 1st exercise was to look in a mirror and draw my self portrait.  This was really hard for me because I am not only trained to use the right side of my brain; I also have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which means I see everything.  You might be thinking sure you see everything, but I DO.  This can be quite frustrating when trying to draw, because everything has to be just right and I could spend days trying to perfect something that should have just been left alone because it was fine the way it was.

Anyways, I enjoyed the "Post-exercise remarks" as Betty she reassures those of us using the book that what we see is ok.  We are learning to draw and this is just the first of many exercises to help train our brains to think like artists.

Here is the self portrait drawing I did last night and the little critic inside is screaming out all of the flaws, but I refuse to listen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails