Thursday, October 27, 2016

Stenciled ATCs - Sweet William, Wild Thing, and Happy Cat

I've been making Artist Trading Cards (ATC) since 2009 and was an active member of ATCs for All. I haven't been on the site in two years.  I recently joined a FaceBook group that trades ATCs and signed up for StencilGirl's monthly stencil club.  The point? you might ask is that I never really thought I could use stencils. I mean I'm just learning how to "layer" paint.  Well, I did it, I went and bought me six more stencils and created the following ATCs. Hah, layering isn't so bad.  I really liked how they turned out.  I even picked up my copy of Drawing Lab For Mixed-Media Artists by Carla Sonheim and drew the characters for these cards.  As I haven't drawn in over two years it was kind of awkward, but as Carla points out in her book Steven Pressfield states in his book titled The War of Art "There is no such thing as a fearless warrior or a dread-free artist."

Meet Sweet William the frog:


Wild Thing Giraffe:


Finally, Happy Cat:


These are all ATC size, which is 2.5" x 3.5", and created on Bristol paper.  I rolled paint for the background, dabbed paint through stencils, tore vintage book pages, and colored in each image.  I also used stamps, found words in print, and sticker words for the phrases. Lastly, as I always do, I used my ink pads to create a soft border around each one.

My final point is this: Don't be afraid to try something new and uncomfortable. You can't succeed if you never try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails